The new theme layer
Drupal 8 comes with a completely new theme layer. The old theme layer was a big frustration for front-end developers and was far too complex. The most significant change of the new layer is Twig. Before diving into this new theming layer, let's take a closer look at the old one and sum up some disadvantages.
The Drupal 8 theme system is maintained by the following people:
- Alex Bronstein 'effulgentsia'
- Scott Reeves 'Cottser'
- Fabian Franz 'Fabianx'
- Joël Pittet 'joelpittet'
- Lauri Eskola 'lauriii'
- Blog post about the future of Drupal, a blog post by Larry Garfield.
- Drupal 8's new theming layer, a video interview with Joël Pittet and Scott Reeves.
- The "themer" role is a Drupalism, a blog post by …
- Rethinking Drupal’s Theme/Render Layer, a blog post by by John Albin.
- (meta) Convert all core *.tpl.php templates to Twig as singular patch